Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Midwest Massacre at Dragon Fall

Hi all. Once again I am lax in posting.  I was all excited for the Iowa Incident Mark 6 when last I posted.  Well there is not going to be an Iowa Incident this year.  Will Thompson, the main man for Iowa, had to go and have a baby. Well his wife did.  Congrats to Will and his wife on the new baby though.  In lew of Iowa, we have decided to attend the Midwest Massacre at Dragon Fall this year.  Scott Tipsword is at the helm, a swell guy,  and the tournament is shaping up to be a good one.  For those of you unfamiliar with the Midwest Massacre it is a team tournament.  This year it is a 3 man team.  Team Strongman Commando Friends will be storming the gates as it were. Our showing at Adepticon was a bit lack luster, but we are heading in with a different plan and a new member.  So lets go over the format a little bit.

Each team is made up of 3 people, as I stated above.  We will all be playing 300 point lists and facing another team on a one to one basis. When pairings are done it is done team vs team.  The team then decides who faces who in the match ups. Tournament points, Objective points and victory points are then all added together for the team in each round. The first round pairings are random and then they become swiss with the pairing based on the total team score.  There is a team LT who rolls for the team in determining the order of pairings.  So if you win the LT roll you get to decide the first pairing.  then your opponent chooses.  This makes it so you could possibly engineer some ideal pairings to get the wins you need.

George, Matt and myself will be making up the team.  This means Ariadna, Yu Jing and what I decide to take. Much like my dilemma with Iowa I am trying to decide which army I want to bring.  My default is PanO.  This is most likely as I want to bring a painted army.  There is no painting requirement, but I still like to bring a completely painted army.  Missions have not been announced yet due to season 11 not officially landing yet, so I have not gotten into list building at all.  I am really tempted to take my combined army.  I recently got my Avatar painted, so I like putting him out on the table. 

I always have trouble building a good list centered around the Avatar though.  My comfort zone is Bolts.  Lots and lots of Bolts.  This means less to paint.  I tend to do PanO purely because I don't have to paint anything.  This suites my laziness when it comes to painting anymore.  I may not have enough Bolts though.  Since the update  to NeoTerra I have been running a lot more. Usually a 5 man core fireteam, a Haris team and a couple more just in case I need to replenish the teams.  I am tempted by combined army, but inevitably I am going to run PanO.  Is PanO a mistake?  Only my tournament record will tell.   It usually is, but hey you run what you like to run.

So if you are attending Dragon Fall come say hi and lets have a drink.  If you are not attending Dragon Fall for he Midwest Massacre, then you need to.  It will be a good time. Next time I am hoping to put my thoughts together about being a bi polar gamer and the challenges I face when it comes to gaming and life in general.  It may be a boring read, but I am hoping it adds some perspective and maybe enhances somebodies knowledge.

until next time.....




 

No comments:

Post a Comment