Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Road to Adepticon: Project Francis

Greetings all! The rumor mill has the crystal brush parting ways with Adepticon for 2020. Hopefully this means a new in house run painting competition that we mere mortals have a chance against the pro painters. In that spirit I am throwing my hat in next year. I have never entered a painting competition and I want to challenge myself this year.  So I introduce Project Francis.

For those of you that don't know the character, this model is a 90mm version of the Aleph army character Ajax the great from the game Infinity.  This model was done by Luxumbra and I will be working on it over the next few months to get it ready for whatever painting competition Adepticon adopts.

My hope is that the powers that be put together a painting competition that is in house that also has an amateur and pro level to it.  This would mean the same dozen or so people would not be winning very year while the rest of us mere mortals slave away for what would seem for naught.  I am finally dipping my foot in this whole competitive painting thing.  I have never claimed to be a great painter.  I decided that I wanted to challenge myself this year.  I want to be a better painter.  So I have taken on some commissions and I am trying to paint more.  Painting more often means I get more practice.  It also means I can try out new techniques and hone the ones I already know. 

I am hoping this results in a competition level model, at least on an amateur level, that I can enter into the painting competition at Adepticon 2020. It is a personal goal.  I don't even care if the model places.  I just want to be a better painter and overcome the mental blocks that seem to foil me when I sit down to paint.  I use to paint just for the love of doing it.  Somewhere along the way it became a chore.  I want to regain the fun.  I want it to be a leisure activity that relaxes me and challenges my mind again.

To that end I take up this project and the school of thought of painting an hour a day.  It was suggested by George, aka Spellduckwrong aka VigoTheButch, that I paint an hour a day.  Sit down and work on a model or whatever I can get done in an hour.  I don't like leaving things unfinished. In the past I have tended to go on a painting spree and paint until I am exhausted.  This means big gaps in me actually getting things done. Painting only an hour a day leaves you hungry.  You want to finish what you started or at least I do.  This means you get in your hobby time and don't get burned out.  It becomes a relaxing leisure activity.  This is what it should have been in the first place.

I will be doing updates on Project Francis as it progresses.  So look for updates in between the campaign stuff and whatever else I put up.

Until Next time..............


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much Admin, I came to this post and knowing about value of this post because your explaining way is awesome and you have shared everything. I appreciate your work and like it very much. Doing great work and keep it continue dear. Post new things related to 2018 updates.

    Exterior Railings Calgary

    ReplyDelete