Friday, August 30, 2013

Painting Inventory: The End is in Sight

Last night, I finished my second squad of Warp Spiders and my squad of Swooping Hawks. Then I decided to see how much Eldar I actually had. I loaded everything into Army Builder and equipped things as I generally tend to field them. Turns out I have a little over 10,000 points (no Forgeworld) sitting on my shelf and in cases.

Then I decided to take a painting inventory.


Out of my army I have the following left to paint before it is all complete:

9 Shining Spear riders
11 converted Warlock "Jetbikes"
10 Striking Scorpions
5 War Walkers
2 Grav tank hulls
20 Dire Avengers
1 Banshee Exarch
Fuegan
Jain Zar
3 Wraithlords (all three require me to complete their conversions in addition to painting)
10 Rangers
Eldar Aegis Defence Line (8 sections)
Eldar Quadgun
Eldar Icarus Lascannon
12 Windrider Jetbike Riders
4 Jetbikes
1 Farseer
3 Warlocks
Illiac Nightspear
4 Fire Dragons
10 Guardians

118 models.

I kind of want to set the goal of finishing my army by the end of this year. If I did my math kinda right, then that means I need to be knocking out about 10 models a week. Now, I know right away that I will fail this goal. There's just no way with school, work and the holidays coming, but I think trying for this will get me pretty close.

The reason I want to finish my army, other than just having any build I want fully painted right of the bat, is because I want to go through and up the paint level on it. My style right now is high contrast, shiny, clean and most importantly (to me) fast. Once I get everything done, I want to come up with some simple things that I can do to really increase the visual presence of the army. I feel that I have improved dramatically as a painter over the years, but I am too OCD to deviate how my army is painted because it would look too different. Once everything is at the same point, I can go in and start doing more advanced techniques.

From a model perspective, the Eldar truly are a beautiful army, and I want to begin exploring it.

When was the last time you did a painting checklist to figure out exactly how much you had left to paint? Or maybe you know a better way to get targeted and organized. I'd love to hear about it.

2 comments:

  1. That is quite the list of Eldar to paint. Several ways I envy you because you have that many to paint. Most of my Eldar were painted more than 10 years ago.

    Haven't done an inventory of what's on my painting shelf. I know the stack of boxes next to the shelf only gets higher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the list is not insignificant. It is a bittersweet thing, however. I remember a few years ago when I had indeed painted my whole collection and I felt a little lost as far as the hobby went. A sizeable influx of new models came and relieved that feeling. Though now as I approach that point once again, I look forward to it because it will be filled with new challenges and techniques.

    ReplyDelete