Monday, July 1, 2013

Tournament Battle Report (Part One)



Hey guys, Hick here. This previous weekend I went to a tournament in Flint, Michigan. They were doing a standard steamroller style tournament with one slight twist to the format. Both lists were required to take a huge base of your choice, battle engine or colossal. I have been trying to take trolls to most tournament outing I have gone to this year but for those of you that don't know the trolls gargantuan is not exactly the best model in the game and the war wagon is not my favorite either. With this in mind, I brought my Cygnar out of the bag for the day. The list sizes were fifty points, so here are the lists I took.

Epic Haley
Stormwall
Squire
Journeyman warcaster
Alexia Ciannor and the risen
Anastasia Di Bray
Full Gun Mages + Unit Attachment
The Black 13th
Epic Eiyriss
Minimum Forge Guard
Lady Aiyana and Master Holt

Prime Haley
Stormwall
Squire
Journeyman Warcaster
Sentinel
Full Gun Mages + Unit Attachment
Gorman Di Wulfe
Full Nyss Hunters + Captain Jonas Murdoch
The Piper of Ord

The lists were designed to cover each others weaknesses. Epic Haley's list was designed to crush heavy armor and punish armies that tried to get into a gunfight with me and Prime Haley's list was designed to punish infantry swarms, slow them down and kill them all in a hail of gunfire. Both lists did exactly what I had thought they would do in my head and getting some practice with the lists quite a bit always helped me.

My first round I drew a Legion of Everblight player playing only Epic lylith, ironically the one caster I was worried about because she is one of the few casters in the game that can outshoot cygnar very effectively and she is also very good at assassination. After looking at his list, I knew I had no choice but to drop my Epic Haley list to keep his list honest and force the idea of a protracted gun fight out of the realm of possibility. His list was:

Epic Lylith
Ravagore
Ravagore
Angelius
Naga Nightlurker
Throne of Everblight
Minimum Raptors
Strider Deathstalker
Strider Deathstalker
Blighted Nyss Shepherd
The Forsaken

I could not get into a long gunfight with this list as I said before. His list had far too many high power guns that ignored my defensive buffs but he couldn't apply all of his debuffs everywhere so my intentions were to use the Stormwall as a giant target for his armies guns to allow the real killers in my list to advance and do their jobs. It also helps that due to a spell from Haley and her warjack bond I can threaten a Stormwall charge 14 inches in all directions. My plan was to force the Stormwall down his throat and see what happens. He won the roll off and opted to allow me to go first because he wanted to choose the table edge and have the first opportunity to score objective points. I went first and rushed my whole army forward the max speed. He popped his feat on his turn and dumped everything into my Stormwall doing minimal damage to it (around half of its left grid). I then ambushed bray onto his right side and shot the Stormwall forward killing his battle engine and crippling his first ravagore. I also ran my forge guard and my other units as far forward as they could go. Triggered espionage from bray and killed his crippled ravagore and his raptors and both death stalkers. Then Haley popped her feat and stalled his army out. His turn due to Haley's feat I controlled his turns order of activations and he did minimal damage to my army and was unable to kill bray. The following turn was clean up due to another espionage trigger and Stormwall killing more beasts including his naga and other ravagore. I then won on scenario the following turn because he did not have enough to contest my objective after the Stormwall crippled his force.

Overall he probably could have used the naga's animus more effectively to break the Stormwall with his feat and stopped it from rampaging through his army. The Stormwall proved to be too much for his army to gun down on the way in. Feel free to email warmachine related questions to me at jahickok@gmail.com or send me a tweet @HickJa. Comments and feedback are as always appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment