Saturday, November 5, 2011

Imhotek... Imhotek... IMHOTEK!!!

I finally got my mitts on the new codex. Already, everyone is bitching about how overpowered the Necrons are now, and how cheesy the army is, and blah, blah, blah... I say it's about time that the Necrons became a competitive army again!

The first thing that struck me was the reduced point costs. Last time I played the Necrons, SeerK handed me my butt. The reason I bring this up is the fact that I had 36 models in my army, while he had over 75. Now model counts will be more in line.

I am a little confused about the new "we'll be back" rule. Now, by themselves, resurrection protocols and the everliving make sense, but what confuses me is why most IC's and HQ have BOTH powers. It would seem that the everliving would make the resurrection protocols superfluous... Maybe there is something I am missing in the reading.

The new weapons are pretty boss. Having the tesla weapons do an additional 2 automatic hits for every 6 rolled on the to hit roll is beefcake.

The Monoliths became a little bit less powerful. The portal gained some power in the fact that a unit does not need to be within 18" to be pulled thru, however, it can no longer pull a unit put that is engaged in combat. Fair enough, that tactic was pretty dodgy.

Resurrection orbs now only affect the unit they are with, giving their resurrection protocols roll to a 4+, and not any model within 6". I'm kinda sad to see this, but there can now be multiple orbs out on the field now with the royal court. We will see how this shakes out.

And my last thought for the day: Imhotek the Stormlord - Baller at large

I was already enthralled with the fact that I had a namesake to put in my army, but damn. Humiliating defeat makes that model so sweet. (if a model loses his last wound to Imhotek, you get to add d3 additional hits to add to your combat result). This is gonna make him a hand to hand beast. Then his superior strategy makes him seize the initiative on a 4+. Finally, the Stormlord makes the first round night fighting and has the ability to keep this effect up.

Well, that's it for now. I am typing this on the blogger app, and it's making my thumbs sore.

I need to stew on the scarabs. I think with their new rules I can think of some really heinous uses for them.

-Stormlord

3 comments:

  1. I agree the Stormlord looks fantastic. I think the main thing I've taken from the new codex is the amount of character they have given them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the Everliving rule just means they can take their Resurrection Protocols save even if other Necrons wouldn't be able to. So they have to have both rules on the unit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you hit the nail on the head Duke. Given our obsession, Americans, with the wording of rules and to avoid confusion characters have both rules so they can still use resurrection protocols.

    I have to say this codex is going to be competitive. Lots of bandwagon hoppers though I think. The FLGS sold all 8 copies of the book and only three of them went to actual known Necron players.

    ReplyDelete