Sunday, August 15, 2010

Good books and even better Fluff

I love to read. I have read fantasy and sci-fi books since I was 6. The first book I read cover to cover was 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Vern. I Skipped the books for kids and tweens and jumped right into Bradbury, Clark, Heinlein and of course Tolkien.
The point is I love to read and the Black Library is probably the only branch of GW that does not anger me. Other than the lack of good 40K fiction from an Eldar's perspective, Gav Thorpe let me down with “Path of The Warrior”, I enjoy the books immensely. For new players the books are an excellent source of fluff and background to the game. Not everybody has been playing since the hallowed days of Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader. I thought I would share some of my favorites and ones I have recommended to those who want to get to know the universe. One of the players in my Rogue Trader Campaign asked for recommendation for background since he does not play 40k and for a good RPG character you need background information. So here are some of my favorite series.
You will notice a theme as to who writes my favorites as well. Dan Abnett is my favorite author. He really captures the universe and the characters are memorable. There is a very real and visceral feel to his books. The newest series he had contributed books to is of course the Horus Heresy series of novels. These are great books that really shed light on a past that is shrouded in mysticism and legend. “Horus Rising” is the first book and written by Mr. Abnett. Graham McNeill Actually wrote my favorite book in this series. “Fulgrim” details the fall of the Primarch of the Emperors Children and really gets disturbing at points. Plus there is a cameo by everybody's favorite Farseer.
My favorite Series though has to be the Gaunts Ghosts series by Dan Abnett. These are a very good and really show you things from the average grunts point of view. The characters are very colorful and you get attached to them. The Eisenhorn books are also great. You follow the adventures of Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn. Its in the same realistic style you come to expect from Abnett. The Enforcer trilogy by Matt Farrer is also a favorite. It follows the Adeptus Arbitus officer Shira Calpurnia and her enforcement of imperial law in the Hydraphur system.
I really don't read novels about space marines though. They tend to be epic and over the top in just about every aspect. The Death Watch series and the Book Rynns World is pretty good though.
If you want good fluff book Xenology is awesome. Not only does it have a nice narrative in the form of a series of log entries it also details most of the races in the 40k universe in epic detail.
So read the Heresy books and Gaunts Ghosts for some good reads. Basically Read Dan Abnett and you will get all the fluff you can stand.

So next time we will be talking about Eldar Fast Attack and about the End of Days Tournament being hosted at Evolution games on August 21st and run by Dark Future Games.


Until Then......



Blood Runs, Anger Rises, Death Wakes, War Calls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment