Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The 8th Foundation Of Vengeance: Knowledge

Knowledge is power. Knowing the who, what, when, why and where of a situation gives you control of the situation and the ability to make informed decisions. In war gathering intelligence about the dispositions of the enemy force is essential to planning a strategy that provides victory with a minimal loss of soldiers and resources. Sun Tzu teaches us that “if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss. If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose. If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself”.

Knowledge about your opponent is just as important as knowledge of the game and your own army. You must know your own force and all the rules and errata associated it. It also makes sense to read other codex’s and learn about your opponents. Knowing the rules of another codex better than the person playing the army gives you a distinct tactical advantage as you know how the unit works and possible uses and scenarios involving said unit. This allows you to build a strategy to counter and eliminate the unit with a minimal expenditure of resources.


I have been taking this to heart as of late as I look for another Xenos army to start as a side project. I have been reading up on Orks and Tyranids. I also have been reading through the new Grey Knight codex and FAQ in order to better understand my prey. Grey Knights are proving to be a thorn in my side for the usual tactics with the Craftworlders. Once I complete my research I will be going over some strategies, which I will try out first, on the most optimal way of killing these uber marines.

I am studying the army as a whole and how it pertains to the primary list I am using. Since my webway list is a heavy hand to hand list I have to take a hard look at the Grey Knight units I may run into. The most popular is purifiers. They seem to have a lock on combat, even in small numbers. The most obvious thing that pops out to me is to pour fire into them and jut use weight of fire to wipe them out. This can work, but the key is not getting engaged in combat. So my mind starts laying down scenarios and possible outcomes based on different situations. There are a lot of permutations to deal with, but you kinda have to have that mindset in order to plan and be ready for things. Knowledge is nothing if you don't know how to use it.

I think the biggest thing though is know your own codex and know the rules. Remember to know thy enemy is to know thyself. Understand and know your codex inside and out. Know the FAQ rulings and different interpretations. Be prepared to defend yourself on the battle field and in the realm of rules problems. You can read a codex over and over and still find things you did not know where there and after more and more games see uses for units that you had not thought of before. SO study young Seers. Knowledge is power.


So there you have it the 8th Foundation of Vengeance. Study well. In other news There will be a big Bits Trading Day at Evolution games on Wednesday June 22nd. Old School Terminator has declared a bits day as we have not had one one since before Adepticon. SO I hope to see you there. I will have Eldar bits to trade and sell. I will be looking for Orks.

Until then..........



Blood Runs, Anger Rises, Death Wakes, War Calls!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. BITZ FOR THE BITZ GOD! SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE! TRADE! BUY! SELL! KILL! ... er, maybe not kill, but I digress

    ReplyDelete